Old May 10th 20, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Nice empty tube

In message , at 13:51:15 on Sun, 10 May
2020, tim... remarked:
Many people spend (spent!) two to three hours a day commuting.
Not as many as you probably think. See the transport survey I've
cited.

Probably just as many as I think.

What's the percentage you have in mind?

For London, quite high.

As I said elsewhere the whole thing's an exercise in misreporting of
statistics

Roland's referenced item says that we make approx 1000 trips per year
travelling 7,000 miles, so that's 7 miles per trip (god knows where the
oft quoted 3 miles come from)

But it further says that:
61% of trips, 77% of distance is by car
27% of trips, 3% of distance by walking
2% of trip but 9% of distance by train

(negligible numbers by other modes)

So even without further figures, it should be obvious to anyone with a
degree in anything approaching a sensible subject that:

car and train journeys are disproportionately long

most trips at the shorter end of the scale are already done by walking

The possibility of modal change from car/train to walking, is therefore
negligible

That's not the question. It's how many people spend 2-3hrs a day
commuting.