Old June 8th 20, 09:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default New Freedom pass peak hour restriction

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 08:33:57 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 10:21:47 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

And, I thought the trains were going to run all night?

Night Tube is suspended indefinitely AIUI.

. along with London's night economy which it serves. For obvious
reasons,
I've not been in a town centre at night lately, but it must be
weirdly
empty, with all pubs, restaurants, theatres, clubs, etc closed.

I was surprised to see one of the burger vans back in the centre of
Bristol
at 3am this week.

Night tube has apparently been losing huge amounts of money since it
began,
so I suspect that it won't return any time soon.

Ah, I didn't know that. They kept on putting out bullish statements on
how
well it was doing, and now popular it's becoming, but not anything on
the
finances. You probably have to dig deep into TfL's financial reports
see
an analysis of Night Tube numbers, if they're published at all.

ISTM that once every 10 minutes (if my Google result was correct - I
can't
look up current schedules) is far too frequent

even busses, which carry far smaller numbers usually only run ever 30
minutes on each route

So surely every 30 minutes is frequent enough for the tube as well

Try that about 04.00 on the Jubilee Line from London to Stanmore and
you won't achieve social distancing if the usual passengers are
present.

if the trains are full and overloaded, why is it making a loss?

Does the Underground make a profit ?

Yes, in normal times, it made an operating profit, which helped to
subsidise the loss-making buses. However, I don't think the operating
profit was ever enough to fully fund the capital investment, so it didn't
make a true, bottom line profit.