Old December 5th 20, 12:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default Have the 483s had their final run?

Marland wrote:
Recliner wrote:
I just spotted this tweet from Geoff Marshall:

Geoff Marshall
@geofftech
·
3h
So I rode the ‘38 yesterday. Today there was no train. Then this has just
appeared … no trains for another WEEK; what if it still doesn’t resume
after that! Did I just inadvertently manage to ride on the last day that
they were in service … ?

https://twitter.com/geofftech/status...758822407?s=21

Last night I glanced at the rail cams that point to Ryde Pier head and
Rye Esplanadel and watched the last departure from Pier Head that only goes
back as far as St Johns, as has often been the case recently with no
passengers around it was a couple of minutes early.
Quite a few people are popping in to watch for a bit in case the 484 makes
its first journey through the tunnel.
Each time I have watched that last train recently knowing that the local
travel bulletins almost every other morning have announced there has been
no service due to no serviceable train being available
I have wondered if I had witnessed the last , looks like last night I may
have.
I believe next weeks shutdown was planned for engineering works possibly
power supply so with only about 10 to 15 days left from that till the new
year 3 month closure if the 483s have failed beyond a simple fix it may not
be cost effective to fix them as opposed to jusr laying on replacement
buses a week or two early.

One thing that the cameras have picked up is a sheepdog who has his own
ritual for greeting a train about 8.30 each morning, you can see why it has
gathered the nickname Spinney who will have to do something else now.

https://youtu.be/N9e1Byj_h6Y

Have they planned any special farewell/final trips? If so, they might make
the effort to patch up one set enough to do it. If not, it's probably not
worth it.

I assume the set going to the Steam Railway will never be able to run on
the electric line again?