Old December 16th 20, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default Have the 483s had their final run?

Marland wrote:
wrote:
On 15 Dec 2020 18:59:36 GMT
Jeremy Double wrote:
Of course, the UK never had any influence in the EU...

Irrelevant. Brexit was about immigration pure and simple. If that clown Blair
hadn't opened the flood gates to all the Igors and Olgas the minute the
grasping east european countries joined and immediately held out their palms
for silver I doubt Brexit would have happened.

It is amusing however how all the Remoaners were claiming the sky would fall
the minute they all started to leave yet now if you go into a Costa most of
the staff are the British kids who were never given a chance before. Also
all the east european security staff in my local supermarket have cleared off
and been replaced by Brits. Brexit - so far - is working.

Be interesting to have a closer study at who those Kids are, the current
plague has so distorted jobs and the economy that the effect of Brexit and
what might have been or not cannot accurately be quantified but one thing
that appears to have been happening is the number of people not just young
who were employed or aspiring to a professional career whose expectations
have been curtailed.
Rather than sit on their arses many have adopted the any port in a storm
approach to getting some income and gone for service jobs in catering or
parcel delivery which they hope will be a temporary interlude. One I know
just sighs and says she expected to be doing such work on her gap year but
thought it would be in Sydney or Melbourne not Wiltshire.
Meanwhile those whose background means they were always less motivated
some of whom never had expectations of having to work for a living because
getting up a midday drinking a few cans of beer and taking a few drugs and
doing a little dealing are still doing that ,they haven’t flocked to fill
the positions left by Europeans returning home.
Once C19 is brought to a controllable state it will be interesting to see
if the more motivated people do resume into more professional careers and
less the motivated or aspirational start to fill them,
that may mean the likes of Costa etc may have to pay more to make working
worthwhile compared to social support, even as a generally EU supporter I
would agree the sudden influx of people who
could live on low wages knowing that if it all went pear shaped they could
return home to a less crowded country where the cost of living was less
distorted our job market for low earners.

There's been a big drop in hospitality jobs this year, so many of those
departing young East Europeans won't have been replaced:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/record-number-of-redundancies-as-restrictions-bite-vkql9sbvp?shareToken=250039b89d1d619f204b901bf7eaa f52

I wonder what will happen next year, when life returns to the hospitality
and travel industries? Who will they recruit for the minimum wage jobs?