Old January 1st 21, 11:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
ColinR ColinR is offline

Default Have the 483s had their final run?

On 01/01/2021 10:33, Marland wrote:
ColinR wrote:
On 05/12/2020 11:03, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
I just spotted this tweet from Geoff Marshall:

Geoff Marshall
@geofftech
·
3h
So I rode the ‘38 yesterday. Today there was no train. Then this has just
appeared … no trains for another WEEK; what if it still doesn’t resume
after that! Did I just inadvertently manage to ride on the last day that
they were in service … ?

https://twitter.com/geofftech/status...758822407?s=21

006 failed last week, 008 failed yesterday (one post suggests axle box
problems?). 007 is supposedly nearing the end of an overhaul. Another post
suggests service may resume on Monday.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/355569249197459/ has some knowledgeable
people posting and commenting.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

As a side from this thread, I watched a video this evening on "the past"
which was interesting, reflecting my last trip there in 1966.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_dxVE01duo

That link now appears dead so I don’t know if it was steam or the first
batch of tube stock.
I did find some of my own photos taken on that in its last year of
operation and what struck me was how much more of the original interior of
that stock survived with glass lampshades and filament bulbs for the
lighting, leather straphangers etc.
While the 1938 stock has been feted recently the excellent refurbishment
done for their Island role went much further and the interiors ended up
more like a spruced up version of the 59 /62 stock
rather than the ambience they had when in London.

GH

Strange, it was working last night but not this morning! It was a
Railway Roundabout clip in, I recall, 1962 so very much in the steam
days. However, a search this morning cannot find that particular
episode, but many other episodes are on-line.

--
Colin