Old January 6th 21, 09:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Thameslink returns to the Tube Map

In message , at 10:15:13 on Wed, 6 Jan 2021,
NY remarked:
"Sam Wilson" wrote in message
A colleague back in the day, who didn't have a middle name, filled in an
order form for business cards, and duly got back a few boxes of:

Fred N.A. Blogs

:-)

On of the UoEd’s schools used to use login names based on initials
but they
were at least 3 characters long. People without a middle name got an “x”
inserted, so S.... W.... (not me) was “sxw”. It looked odd when
you first
saw one - “oh, I didn’t know Steve’s middle name was Xavier...”

It's an interesting difference between UK and US: here in the UK middle
names and initials are rarely used - almost never in the printed name
below a handwritten signature or in the salutation ("Dear ...") on a
letter. And very rarely in official lists (examination results etc).
And not on signs on office doors. In the US, a middle initial seems to
be mandatory.

But in the UK very often used in a nickname; DNA - Douglas Adams, for
example. Or his one-time classmate who wrote the worst poetry: PNMG.