Old January 6th 21, 06:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Certes Certes is offline

Default Thameslink returns to the Tube Map

On 06/01/2021 18:15, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:21:52 on Wed, 6 Jan 2021,
Certes remarked:
On 06/01/2021 15:42, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:34:28 on Wed, 6 Jan
2021,Â* Certes remarked:
On 06/01/2021 10:00, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:31:21 on Wed, 6 Jan
2021,Â* Sam Wilson remarked:

On of the UoEd’s schools used to use login names based on initials
butÂ* they
were at least 3 characters long.Â* People without a middle name an “x”
inserted, so S.... W.... (not me) was “sxw”.Â*Â* It looked odd when
youÂ* first
saw one - “oh, I didn’t know Steve’s middle name was Xavier...”

Â*There's still some cachet in having an ongoing login with "1" as
suffix in Cambridge. Maybe other places too.

Especially one of the original four-character logins (RXP1, etc.)
Â*Yes, those are the ones I meant. Have they got a new scheme now,
ratherÂ* than issuing RXP1234?

I've been out of touch for a while but I think they use the same scheme
with five characters, so my example would be the less prestigious RXP10.

Not RXP01?

In four-character days, the suffix for those with no middle initial
started at 10. My uninformed guess is that this system continues.