Old January 6th 21, 06:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Thameslink returns to the Tube Map

In message , at 19:11:58 on Wed, 6 Jan 2021,
Roland Perry remarked:
In message , at 18:34:23 on Wed, 6 Jan
2021, Certes remarked:
On 06/01/2021 18:15, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:21:52 on Wed, 6 Jan
2021, Certes remarked:
On 06/01/2021 15:42, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:34:28 on Wed, 6 Jan
2021,Â* Certes remarked:
On 06/01/2021 10:00, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:31:21 on Wed, 6
Jan 2021,Â* Sam Wilson remarked:

On of the UoEd’s schools used to use login names based on
initials butÂ* they
were at least 3 characters long.Â* People without a middle name
inserted, so S.... W.... (not me) was “sxw”.Â*Â* It looked
odd when youÂ* first
saw one - “oh, I didn’t know Steve’s middle name was Xavier...”

Â*There's still some cachet in having an ongoing login with "1"
suffix in Cambridge. Maybe other places too.

Especially one of the original four-character logins (RXP1, etc.)
Â*Yes, those are the ones I meant. Have they got a new scheme now,
ratherÂ* than issuing RXP1234?

I've been out of touch for a while but I think they use the same scheme
with five characters, so my example would be the less prestigious RXP10.

Not RXP01?

In four-character days, the suffix for those with no middle initial
started at 10. My uninformed guess is that this system continues.

But that would be RP10, or even RP01.

Getting back to the middle initial thing, my old boss was always known
as AMS[1], and his car was AMS 1; and even before I worked there, I
always wanted RPA 1, but it wasn't available (RPA being my nickname at
school, being the first three of my initials).

As for email addresses, despite having clocked up a hundred or more over
the years, I've always assiduously avoided any with a numerical suffix.

Looking at my address book, the closest was
, which I never used, closed in 2003,
and combined my postcode and phone number which was supposed to help
*me* remember it, not anyone else.

[1] ...trading