Old January 6th 21, 11:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default Thameslink returns to the Tube Map

Robert wrote:
On 6 Jan 2021 at 11:39:54 GMT, ""NY"" wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
It's an interesting difference between UK and US: here in the UK middle
names and initials are rarely used - almost never in the printed name
below a handwritten signature or in the salutation ("Dear ...") on a
letter. And very rarely in official lists (examination results etc). And
not on signs on office doors. In the US, a middle initial seems to be
mandatory.

But in the UK very often used in a nickname; DNA - Douglas Adams, for
example. Or his one-time classmate who wrote the worst poetry: PNMG.

The best nickname (nominative determinism?) was the head of department in
the electronic engineering department where I worked. He was known as Bill
Taylor but his nickname was J-Omega. Then I saw his initials and the penny
dropped: JWT (W=Bill). Electronic engineering formula of quantities that
vary over time often have terms that involve j omega t (square root of minus
1, angular frequency = 2 pi f, time).

Ah yes, nominative determinism...

The Tree Protection Officer in the local authority where my cousin lives is
(or at least was then) a Mr. Branch.

And an upholsterer living and working near Crawley (West Sussex) some forty
years ago was a Mr Comfort.

Perhaps his grandson, Dean Ian Sean Comfort, is now in charge of railway
seat design?