Old January 7th 21, 12:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
James Heaton[_4_] James Heaton[_4_] is offline

Default Thameslink returns to the Tube Map

"Sam Wilson" wrote in message
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 05/01/2021 18:17, Sam Wilson wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:22:35 on Tue, 5 Jan
2021,
Tweed remarked:

It's just a cultural thing, like many Europeans have names like
Magnus
Magnus*son*, and innumerable similar Slavic suffices.

Slavic? I thought it came from the Icelandic. There surnames come from
the
first name of the parent.

Yes, hence the use of the word "similar" (not "identical")

I’ve recently found this fascinating and instructive:
https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names

The Afghan politican Abdullah Abdullah allegedly only had one name
originally, but he got so fed up with people from elsehwere asking for
his other name that he decided it was easiest to double it so he had one.

George Brown, the tired and emotional Labour politician, became Lord
George-Brown on his elevation to the peerage because he still wanted to be
called George Brown, even though peers are conventionally known only by
their surnames. He had to change his name to George George-Brown to do
it,
though. Boutros Boutros-Ghali did something similar but I don’t know the
details.

Harmar Nicholls, MP for Peterborough and father of Audreh Roberts from
Corrie, did the same.

James