Old January 10th 21, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default New Tim

Sam Wilson wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
There's a tweet from Tim this morning reminding us that today is the 157th
anniversary of the opening of the Metropolitan Railway, complete with
then-and-now pictures of Baker Street station:
https://twitter.com/mrtimdunn/status/1348212174574014464?s=21

At opening, there were broad gauge tracks, but narrow platforms; now, there
are visibly wider platforms that take advantage of the narrower tracks. The
skill of the presentation of the original 'look' is very apparent.

The artist in the first picture has also made the people smaller, which is
evident if you compare the people to the alcoves. Apparently it was a
common trick at the time.

I’ve made the same point in my reply to Graeme. I remember it being
pointed out in a famous painting of, IIRC, the Oude Kerk in Amsterdam,
though I can’t find the actual painting at the momment.

I must admit that I'd never noticed that effect with the famous old Baker
Street painting until seeing it side-by-side with the modern photo. I also
hadn't realised it was an effect that originated in that master of
illusions, the Church!