Old February 8th 21, 05:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] mickspud@potatofield.co.uk is offline

Default First two HS2 tunnels completed at Euston

On Mon, 8 Feb 2021 16:24:29 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
There are parallels, but I think the difference between HS2 and the examples
you gave is that for most of the latter the benefit to society as a whole
were fairly obvious even if investors lost their shirt. The benefits of HS2
and equivocal at best thought to be frank its hard to point to any that are
realistic. Even the freeing up paths for freight on the WCML won't happen
if pax services on the WCML remain the same after HS2 is open,

By removing the fast, non-stop services from the fast lines, they free up
capacity for more passenger trains on the fast lines, freeing up space for
more freights on the slow lines.

Sure, if they get removed. I doubt they will. Do you think the service on
the Central line will be cut back once crossrail opens?

plus it would
have been simpler and cheaper to just add extra running lines for freight to

the WCML where possible or even build shoert diversion routes.

No, that would have been far more disruptive and expensive than building a
new doube-track railway through unpopulated areas.

********. Most of the WCML is in countryside, it would have been easy to
build some extra trackwork in those areas. Thats why I said "where possible".