Old July 6th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin Colin is offline

Default How red is a London Bus?

"PRAR" wrote in message
news
On 6 Jul 2004 11:43:22 -0700, (Matt Ashby) wrote:

I always assumed that red buses was a condition of the contracts that
operators sign to run a route for London Buses / TfL. Yet Tellings
Golden Miller, Mitcham Belle and others run TfL routes with buses that
are white, yellow, striped and various other things. There are also,
of course, buses painted various colours for advertising and
promotional purposes.

What are the rules about the colour of buses?

ISTR it's 80% red for all new tenders, but existing routes and re-lets
are allowed to keep their existing liveries.

Thsu Metrobus can use blue buses on some routes but not others
depending upon when they got the tender.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to

dispense it. Dick Cavett
Please reply to the newsgroup. That is why it exists.
NB Anti-spam measures in force
- If you must email me use the Reply to address and not

And Tellings Golden Miller and Armchair operate White/Yellow/Blue and
Orange/White buses respectively in my area, in addition to a newer red
versions on some routes.

It is a bit messy - how long is the complete tendering round? (i.e. if Ken
ordered all buses to be red 4 years ago, how much longer will it be before
they all are?).