Old July 7th 04, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Matt Wheeler Matt Wheeler is offline

Default How red is a London Bus?

"James Farrar" wrote in message
PRAR wrote:

On 6 Jul 2004 11:43:22 -0700, (Matt Ashby)

wrote:

I always assumed that red buses was a condition of the contracts

that
operators sign to run a route for London Buses / TfL. Yet Tellings
Golden Miller, Mitcham Belle and others run TfL routes with buses

that
are white, yellow, striped and various other things. There are

also,
of course, buses painted various colours for advertising and
promotional purposes.

What are the rules about the colour of buses?

ISTR it's 80% red for all new tenders,

Only applies to buses which go into Zone 1, I believe.

My understanding is the rule has changed slightly. All new contracts,
whether they go into Zone 1 or not, are requiring Red buses. And there
seems to be a cut back on the 80%, such that even more red is
required. For instance Lonon United, on new deliveries and repaints
are apparently having to remove the grey/white area around the
upstairs windows, and paint that red....