Old August 31st 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Anyone know about Sat Nav - Tom Tom, etc ?

In message , at 20:24:07 on Tue,
31 Aug 2004, Tony Bryer remarked:
I had a Honda with Satnav and it undoubtedly used the same mapping
as Microsoft MapPoint - it had the same silly mistakes in the
data!

They may (or may not) have been deliberate. It's standard practice with
maps to introduce small errors so that they can be later be used to
prove copyright violations. But if it wanted to send you up the M25 the
wrong way perhaps not!

I don't have a view as to whether the errors were deliberate or not. But
they were the same! In particular, the street I lived in was numbered
back to front - ie No1 was at the wrong end. I assume they use some kind
of interpolation algorithm, rather than actually have every house in the
USA in their database!