Old July 29th 03, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Tunnel Maps

"Richard J." wrote in message
Martin Underwood wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

I would be interested to know the precise route shown for the
Piccadilly line between South Kensington and Knightsbridge,
specifically the two double-bends east of South Kensington station.
Can you describe the route in relation to the roads above?

Certainly. Actually I do better than that. I've scanned that section
and put it on the web - 174KB. It's at
http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/kensington.jpg

Thanks very much, Martin. Unfortunately, the route shown is not quite
accurate as it shows (eastbound) a left turn out of South Ken station,

then
a straight section, then another left turn and a right turn by Brompton
Oratory. Anyone who travels that line will know that the bends go
left-right-left-right with no straight section before the old Brompton

Road
station.

Your map looks like an updated version of my Bartholomew street atlas of
1956, which shows the same route. I was hoping to find a more accurate

one!
(However, this is the only mistake in the detailed routes in this atlas

that
I am aware of.)

I've checked the LT map that I mentioned. This is even worse: it doesn't
show the line as passing under Brompton Road at all - it passes to the east
of it, crossing under Beauchamp Place and then under Fulham Road / Brompton
Road. I think this map has rather a lot of artistic licence (more of a
diagram than an accurate map) - and it only shows bus routes and a *few*
other roads.

You're right about the map that I posted on the web - on closer examination
it says "© Bartholomew MCMLXXXV" (ie 1985).