Old October 13th 04, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default A Moorgate to London Bridge Tunnel (Old chestnut)

"Andrew" wrote in message ...
This is highly speculative and I'm sure the engineering feats involved
would be considerable, but how about connecting the Northern City / WAGN
line with the Thameslink spur into Moorgate, and restoring the 3rd curve at
Farringdon Junction making it a triangular junction again. Would create

I suspect the gradiants and curves required to join the 2 would be too severe
unless a new line split off from blackfriars since from Barbican you'd have
to drop about 20 metres and do a 90 degree turn in the space of 1/4 mile.

more direct North-South journey possibilities without building a second
tunnel. However after Thameslink 2000 is complete this might prove rather
superfluous anyway as there will be a direct route from the ECML through the
new Kings Cross Thameslink station and on to Farringdon. It seems a shame
to abandon the Moorgate Thameslink route though.

Don't worry , at the speed things are progressing I suspect it'll soon be
renamed Thameslink 3000.

B2003