Old October 21st 04, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Livingstone's latest wheeze

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
"John Rowland" wrote in message

Apparently Livingstone wants to fit GPS-controlled
speed limiters to buses and taxis which will prevent
them from ever breaking the speed limit.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...nderbonnet.htm

The consequences seem fairly obvious to me.

How does he expect this to work? Any tall buildings
or tunnels will disrupt the satellite signal plus ,
though I expect bus & taxi companies wouldn't
break the law , there would be nothing to prevent
an owner-operator taxi driver disconnecting or
shielding the aerial of the unit wherever it may
be in the vehicle so it can't pick up any satellite signals.

The PCO is legally entitled to visit a taxi-driver's house at any time of
the day or night and inspect his taxi there and then, waking him if
necessary. Any taxi driver who did the above would lose his badge. Anyway,
since the only places where a GPS unit would lose the signal for a
significant period of time are all 30mph limit anyway, the unit would
probably default to 30 unless it has reason to believe that it is on a road
where the speed limit is higher.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped