Old January 22nd 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default London population not increasing as much as Ken Livinstone says

In article , Jonn Elledge
wrote:

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
Discussion of transport needs in London tends to be based on the idea
that the population of London is increasing. It is, but not by as much as

Ken
Livingstone says.

Ken estimates that the population of London will increase by 700 000
by 2016 (I don't know whether you got the impression that I did that it

was
much more), but the government estimates that the increase will be only

200
000, the rest (2/3!) is Ken's wishful thinking. This is reported here :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...665779,00.html

Interesting... Where's the bit that gives the government estimates?

I presume the journalist has got it from the Registrar - General's reports,
now called something like "Office of population and census".

It would also be interesting to know what the population of London was in the
late 50s. Somehow it sounds more impressive to say "London expanding
remorselessly" than to say "London struggling to regain the population it had
in the late 50s" Part of the cause of that fall was certainly semi-forced
overspill to the likes of Milton Keynes and Stevenage, but some of it was
probably purely voluntary.

Michael Bell