Old July 30th 05, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Brazilian man's visa

In message , at 01:33:05 on
Sat, 30 Jul 2005, Chris Tolley remarked:
AFAIK, the sort of stamps used for ILR don't have dates "set" into them.
They are plain stamps, put adjacent to the normal "arrival" ones, which
do have dates in them - and which I'm sure the officers will check every
morning before they start work.

Okay. As a Brit, I've never seen one of course.

That reminds me of a trip I did to the USA, about 20 years ago to assist
at a large trade show. Part of my job was to recruit and supervise local
university students to act as demonstrators (of the Amstrad PCW). After
the show we were relaxing in the bar and one of the two [1] interesting
things I learnt was that none of them had ever seen a passport, not even
an American one.

Anyway, I know a few Americans who have ILR in the UK, and have seen
their passports.

The nearest I've seen
would be a Jamaican visa stamp which had a long text with a gap in it
where the immigration officer wrote the date.

The UK's ILR stamp isn't dated [3] - perhaps because it doesn't expire,
as such. They do put a date on the six-month [2] stamps that a student
gets on arrival (which also tend to have words prohibiting employment -
as an electrician or otherwise!)

[1] The other being that these young ladies wouldn't venture downtown
without a gun in their handbag.

[2] Or sometimes 12 month.

[3] But I guess they can tell when it was done because it's normally
adjacent or even overlapping a normal entry stamp.