Old November 17th 05, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default TfL Bottleneck Plan

On 17 Nov 2005 02:35:25 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

This was in the Metro taday and I think was in the Standard yesterday.
Just wondered what the Harrow-Rickmansworth stopping patterns refers
to. I know that all fast Met line trains have to cross over the slow
lines at Harrow on the Hill

....only in the eastbound direction...

but I can't see what other bottleneck there is.

There's been discussion in this group previously about the problems of
peak-hour fast Chiltern services (that run non-stop between Harrow and
Amersham) getting stuck behind Met trains, but I can't see what they'd
do about this between Harrow and Rickmansworth - remove the Moor Park
stop from Met trains on the fast lines, maybe?

It also describes Willesden as a bottleneck. What are they referring to
here?

At a guess, the fact that NLL and WLL trains have to use the same
platforms, meaning they often have to wait outside the station. This
can only get worse if frequency increases ever happen. Or perhaps it's
the fact that the short platforms restrict train lengths for the whole
of the NLL and WLL. A solution would be to remodel the entire High
Level station, with longer platforms and a west-facing bay for the
WLL.