Old January 2nd 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Adamfi Richard Adamfi is offline

Default Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

On 2 Jan 2006 13:18:25 -0800, "james007"
wrote:

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

Yes. For me, it's over £100 cheaper to just 'pay as you go' with an
Oyster pre-pay card.

Good grief.

Your research isn't particularly earth-shattering as for many years,
Period Travelcards haven't been particularly good value compared to
single tickets. Unless you changed mode a lot, it often made little
sense to get a Period Travelcard.

In recent years, with the push for Oyster, single fares have been
static or going down, whereas Travelcards have been increasing at
inflation or slightly more than that. This has led to single fares
(with Oyster) being even more competitive compared to a Travelcard.

The way things are going, I won't be surprised to see the slow death
of the Period Travelcard over the next few years.