Old September 16th 03, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Da Man Da Man is offline

Default Why do people live so far from their work?

As a particular exaple of this, people sometimes say "I don't
want to live just round the corner from the company in case the boss
gets into the habit of ringing up and saying 'Fred. You live just
round the corner. Can you pop round and do a little job.'". I know of
no ACTUAL CASE of such exploitation, but certainly many people say
that is the reason why they live where they are, some distance from
work. How widespread is this?

I used to work on a holiay park and actually lived on the site and there was
many occasions when i would get a phone call or someone knocking my door
asking if i could go into work on my day off or when i wasnt meant to be
working (i.e. after i had just finished a 12 hr shift) and i felt i had to
do it, simply because i would have got hassle next day if i didnt.