Old March 8th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Nigel Pendse Nigel Pendse is offline

Default TfL / NLL / Metronet surface stock / tube stock / Croxley link

"D7666" wrote in message
oups.com
John B wrote:

I won't mention the impact of Movia three phase motors on the
existing NLL DC power supply ... oops ...

Oh, go on... is this a serious issue? Would it mean a Southern Region
style gazillion pound power upgrade?

I thought I'd throw it into the fire to see what happened.

The problem will be the same - you are replacing DC motors with
asynchronous AC motors so there will be the same higher average
current and higher I-squared-R heating problem but lower starting peak
current. To what extent LU is already capable of dealing with this ...
over to the traction engineers.

What sort of traction do other recent Tube stock builds have (ie, 1995/6
and 1992 stocks)? In particular, the 1992 stock has very dramatic
acceleration, while the A60s are extremely leisurely.