Old March 22nd 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Getting to Reading

Sam wrote:
I need some help with ticket combinations.

Travelling from Totteridge & Whetstone (Zone 4) to Reading on Saturday and
returning same day.
I have a Networkcard and a Zone 2 - 4 Monthly.

What is the best combi of tickets ?

Was thinking Z 1 - 6 travelcard (£4.80) and then a return extension to
Reading (Not sure of price).

Am I able to get a LU Zone 4 to Reading ticket ? Any source for prices ?

If you take the Tube to Paddington and then get the train to Reading
(which I'm sure will be the quickest way) then it's probably best to put
£3 worth of pay-as-you-go credit on your Oyster card and use that
(obviously along with the Z2-4 that's already on there) to get to
Paddington and back. You would then need a Paddington - Reading cheap
day return (because you can't use prepay on rail services out of
Paddington), which you can look up on nationalrail.co.uk (and apply your
Network Card discount).

You can get a Z4-Reading ticket (which I imagine is broadly the same
price as a Southall - Reading ticket) but you wouldn't be able to travel
out of Paddington on it (again, because prepay isn't valid on those rail
services, although your season ticket is) - you'd have to go to Ealing
Broadway instead.

And yes, you can also get the Z1-6 paper ticket plus an extension, which
will be about the same price as a cheap day return from West Drayton to
Reading. However, you won't be allowed to take a fast train from
Paddington to Reading on that combination (AIUI, although the rules on
these things seem to be absurdly complicated).

I think your best bet is the £3 prepay to get to Paddington, and then a
simple Network Card-discounted Paddington-Reading Cheap Day Return.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7