Old March 22nd 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Getting to Reading

Dave Arquati wrote:
sensible advice snipped
And yes, you can also get the Z1-6 paper ticket plus an extension, which
will be about the same price as a cheap day return from West Drayton to
Reading. However, you won't be allowed to take a fast train from
Paddington to Reading on that combination (AIUI, although the rules on
these things seem to be absurdly complicated).

This isn't quite right: AIUI you can use a zone boundary ticket on any
train, and it doesn't need to stop anywhere around the boundary.

During the weekday evening peak, you can't use any CDRs on FGW fast
trains, but this doesn't apply on a Sunday. I don't *think* there are
any rules that say you can only use zone boundary tickets on former NSE
TOCs. Even if this is the case, you can *certainly* use zone boundary
tickets on FGWL fast services to Reading.

I think your best bet is the £3 prepay to get to Paddington, and then a
simple Network Card-discounted Paddington-Reading Cheap Day Return.

Agreed, anyway.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org