Old April 15th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Thames Barrier

Michael Hoffman wrote:
I see the Thames Barrier has several closures scheduled throughout
this year, but only one of them is a "full tidal closure." Is it worth
trying to go during the full tidal closure, or will I not notice the
difference going some other time?

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...62880/?lang=_e

The normal monthly test closures are for 2.5 hours around low tide, so
they are not very interesting.

There is usually one all-day test closure every year, which this year is
on 8th October, from 08:15 to 18:15 BST. This will prevent the
afternoon high tide from reaching central London, which would otherwise
have been 7.4 metres at London Bridge, one of the highest of the year.
This is only about half a metre below the level that would trigger a
barrier closure "in anger", so it's a chance to see the barrier actually
holding back a high tide. High water at the barrier on 8th October is
at around 15:00 BST.

--
Richard J.