Old April 28th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.transport.buses
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Freedom passes unchecked

In message . 145,
Tristán White writes

I'm not saying that these Freedom Passes are necessarily all fraudulent
misappropriation of granny's card - and some of these young men may indeed
have a disability of their own that is not immediately apparent

That could legitimately include unfitness to drive a motor vehicle
through a condition such as epilepsy (never apparent unless a fit
occurs) or a severe learning disability. Individual councils have the
power to grant freedom passes to other categories (drug or alcohol
dependency is not supposed to be a criterion, but I think it has been
used) although some, like Hackney, seem to have decided that they have
been issued too freely in the past.

None of that is to say that Freedom Passes may not being abused as much
as Disabled Parking Permits, but it must be almost impossible for a
driver to make any sort of check. Even the Freedom Pass website says
that photocards must be produced, if required to revenue inspectors - it
makes no mention of bus drivers.

So, it should be up to the (now very rarely seen) bus inspector to
follow-up any suspicious use of a freedom pass.
--
Paul Terry