Old April 28th 06, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.transport.buses
Whiskers Whiskers is offline

Default Freedom passes unchecked

On 2006-04-28, Tristán White wrote:
Is it illegal for busdrivers to question passengers' disability (or
apparent lack thereof) when fit young men get on and use their orange
Freedom Pass on London buses?

snip

Could someone explain more?

I don't think a bus driver or conductor has either the knowledge or the
time to carry out a thorough physical, medical, psychiatric, and
psychological, examination of any passenger - and nowhere to do it in
private, either )

At least in my borough, Freedom Passes are not handed out easily. I
greatly appreciate mine, when I use it - and I believe that on those
occasions when I'm well enough to use a bus or train then I show little
or no obvious sign of any disability (at least not when I start my
journey).

A photocard has to match every Freedom Pass, although only by name. I
have never been asked to show both at once, but the terms make it clear
that both must 'be presented'.

"Ticket checking staff" are empowered to retain any photocard or pass,
its says on the back of the photocard, and on the back of the pass itself
the non-transferability is emphasised.

Presumably the ticket inspectors do check Freedom Passes along with all
other ticket types.

It would be interesting to know what the statistics are for fraudulent use
of Freedom Passes.

--
-- Whiskers