Old June 10th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Woolwich Ferry question

On Fri, 8 Jun 2006, Peter Heather wrote:

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:

It seems that every year, about this time of the year, the Woolwich
Ferry visits the Upper Pool of London. Here are this year's Tower
Bridge lift times:

Sat 22 Jul 16:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sat 22 Jul 17:00 Woolwich Ferry Down
Sun 23 Jul 18:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sun 23 Jul 19:00 Woolwich Ferry Down

Does anyone here know why the Woolwich Ferry ventures so far upriver?

The crew, at their own expense, borrow one of the boats and take a party
of disadvantaged/disabled kids on a river trip to Tower Bridge and back.
It's not publicised and isn't a TfL sponsored jolly (TfL just lend them
the boat). The crews have been doing it in their own time for years.

Mystery solved. My hat is off to the crews.

Given that i won't be able to make it myself, i thought i'd get someone
else to do my dirty work, and wrote to thewayweseeit.org and suggested the
ferry as a location for that date; they seemed very keen on the idea, so
we might even get some photos to prove that this happens!

tom

--
Osteoclasts = monsters from the DEEP -- Andrew