Old July 31st 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Can I use Oyster pre pay before 9:30?

wrote:
Just been reading the rules about Oyster pre pay and it says that there
is a price cap equal to (or less than ) the cost of a travel card. I
thought travel cards could only be used after 9:30?

Not exactly.

...what happens if I use my Oyster prepay before 9:30, does this cap
still apply? Sounds like an loop hole for using a travel card before
9:30?

Does anyone know how much a zones 1-6 travel card costs these days?

A z1-6 off-peak Day Travelcard is £6.30, so the corresponding Oyster
cap is £5.80. However, your plan falls down because you can also buy a
z1-6 peak Day Travelcard for £12.40. In this case, your Oyster cap
would be £11.90.

I buy a yearly season ticket, but as I often work from home etc Ive
figured out that it would be cheaper to pay daily if a daily ticket
costs less that £10.

Depends on where you're going from and how often you travel. If you
commute z6-z1 and back between 7AM and 7PM on weekdays on a route where
Oyster Prepay is valid, then you'll pay £3.50 each way on Oyster
Prepay, or £7 overall. This might be worth doing.

However, if you also travel about a lot during the day, then you'll pay
more and so it might not be.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org