Old August 12th 06, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default reliability of NNL and district line richmond branch

MIG wrote:
asdf wrote:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:58 +0100 (BST), Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Isn't the existing TD at ECT listed?
That's why we have to put up with such abysmal passenger information
there.

What's to stop them putting in a dot matrix indicator as well?

Besides, even that wouldn't guarantee getting decent passenger
information. The western end of the Piccadilly line has had them
fitted for at least 6 months now, but last time I was there they still
didn't show any useful information. The eastbound indicator at South
Harrow just seems to show "1. Eastbound train" permanently. On the
westbound platform at Ealing Common, it manages to display "1. Check
front of train" whenever a train rolls into the platform. Most of the
others don't even manage that - they just show the time and various
security announcements.

At least Acton Town retains its old style indicators. These are
clearer and easier to read, especially for the partially sighted (you
can tell where the train's going just by the position of the lit
destination); dot matrix ones wouldn't be any more use as the
platforms don't seem to be known until a minute before the trains
arrive anyway.

Large parts of the District line have dot matrix indicators which could
be showing the destinations and arrival times of the next three trains,
but never actually show any information except possibly the destination
of one train that is just about to pull in (never more than one minute
away). This is particularly the case on the Edgware Road to Wimbledon
bit. Anyone know what the problem is with improving the information on
that line? It seems to be long term.

My limited understand was that it was related to the ancient signalling
computer at Earl's Court, but I'm not sure about that. I also imagine
that near terminals, the information only becomes available once the
train begins its service - so at Paddington westbound, District trains
would only show up upon leaving Edgware Road. That doesn't, however,
explain the poor information further down the line. It also doesn't stop
the Central line system from showing services which haven't yet left
West Ruislip (a very useful facility at West Ruislip itself - you can
tell whether you have time to walk down the train before it leaves or
whether to jump on!).

In a similar part of the world, SWT seems to have a rather contrasting
system. At about 0915 I saw the indicator at Wandsworth Town platform
1 showing the next train due at 2316. This was no doubt correct, ie
when there would next normally be a stopping train at that platform.
In that case, it might have been as well to say "there will be over
ffty trains going the same way from platform 2 before the next one from
this platform".

I do wonder why apparently sophisticated passenger information systems
can't deal with this. The Northern line seems to manage at the Camden
Town southbound platforms (shame about the line itself though!).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7