Old August 31st 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default Planned upgrade for rail routes (aka Outer Circle Line, London)

"R.C. Payne" wrote in message

Is it really sensible/cost-effective to have 100mph capability for
these, rather than modify (presumably re-gear) for better acceleration
- or have a lower-spec traction package? I can't imagine that there's
much chance of the units exceeding 50mph, unless they operate on other
(non-TfL) routes at some point in the future.

Perhaps it's cheaper that way, as they can just supply another
off-the-shelf electrostar. What is the top speed of a 376? I'm
guessing that is what these trains will end up being.

100 mph isn't mentioned in the TfL press release. It looks as though the
Beeb saw the word Electrostar, looked up the details of the Southern and
Kent Coast 375/377s. put two and two together and made five. I would expect
the ELLX and North London stock to be geared for 60 mph, which is the most
they'll do on those routes in service, or perhaps 75 mph like the Kent Link
376 Electrostars.

Peter