Old September 1st 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Black and yellow plates

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:09:32 +0100, Fig wrote:

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 18:49:03 +0100, chunky munky
wrote:

Fig wrote:

I've noticed a small black and yellow stripped plate in the cab windows
of
Met line trains. Might be in others too, not sure. What are they?

Does it look like this
http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave...d78_stock.html

Yes, that's it! But, I'm afraid that after having read all that, I'm still
none the wiser. Will read again and if I still don't get it, I'll stop
worrying about it.

In simple terms the driver has a handle (CTBC) which he pushes forward
to accelerate and pulls back to slow down. This is a very simplistic
explanation as stock vary as to the exact design.

The top speed and level of acceleration are affected by which of the
"flags" are set. They are a form of cruise control to use a car analogy.
If both flags are up then the train is in "turbo" mode ;-)

I'll now await the arrival of various drivers and train managers to make
me look a right idiot.

--
Paul C