Old September 2nd 06, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default More Oystercard Oddities & TravelSafe officers

Neil Williams wrote:
The reason why, I suspect, is that their presence indicates that it is
necessary for them to be there (as otherwise they wouldn't be, as
nobody would want to pay for them). There is thus a greater perceived
danger compared to if they were not there

Except they generally rotate through various stations to give a highly
visible presence and aren't really acting on any particular
intelligence. Now it's PCSOs that can't really do bugger all, but
probably convince the tourists and the elderly.

When I got searched, it was purely to even out the numbers and the cop
was laughing and joking while really not being interested whatsoever in
what might be in the bag (I wonder if he'd have laughed if I'd shouted
boom as I started to unzip it?). You can't have the ethnic box on the
pink form showing that they only stopped a certain category now can
you? But, why is it that 'those' people get 4-5 officers crowding
around them and they're on their radios doing PNC checks? I'm sent on
my way supposedly thinking I've made a new mate that wants to go for a
few beers after the shift change..

Jonathan