Old September 4th 06, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

Default Black and yellow plates

On 2 Sep 2006 02:21:43 -0700, "Ian Rivett" wrote:

The black and yellow plate is called a "Weak Field Switch". It allows
more current to the motors to allow them to go faster. It used to be
fitted to all trains like 38 stock, R stock, Q stock etc as well as the
A stock and was a method of going faster when needed. The idea of it
being visible is that it can be seen by the train controllers and
drivers can get into trouble for using it when not authorised. On the
Met line it is used all the time.

When did that change? I thought that the flag switch used to be
lowered between Baker Street and Aldgate, where the higher
acceleration would be needed, and the higher maximum speed irrelevant.

On a related note, my uncle used to drive Circle and H&C services and
he claimed that the A stock used to cause service problems as it was
'slower' than the other stock over the northern part of the Circle. By
'other stock' he meant the CO/CP that was in use at the time.