Old September 11th 06, 07:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
peter peter is offline

Default Modern trains and electronic equipment?

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...

Boltar wrote:

elyob wrote:

Hi, Just having a conversation which has turned into why GPS, DAB
radios and
other stuff doesn't work at all well on the more modern rolling stock
i.e.
not picking up a signal. I'm guessing it's got something to do with the
window materials, but just wondered if anyone knew here?

Example train (http://static.flickr.com/2/1408980_241dea4228_o.jpg)

Thanks

Well GPS probably doesn't work because the trains moving all the time
and all the clutter between you and the low down weak satellite signal
is killing the reception. As for DAB , dunno, perhaps the windows are
designed to block mobiles and block DAB too? Does FM radio work?

Just realised that GPS isn't geostationary so the satellites arn't low
down.
Even so , perhaps it can't get a lock on enough of the satellites from
train window.

B2003

Dunno what happens in the UK but in Sydney some trains have a coating on the
windows to reduce the amount of sunlight (we have plenty here :-) And that
also effects mobile phone and GPS reception.

cheers
Peter
Sydney