Old September 16th 06, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default M25vA406 - Heathrow to Walthamstow

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 07:56:03 +0100, "Andrew Wyatt"
wrote:

Opinions requested - in two weeks time on a Thursday my family will be
coming to visit us, and will be driving from Heathrow Airport to
Walthamstow, starting out from Heathrow at about 15:30.

I guess the two obvious routes are M25-M11 or A4-A406-A10. What do you think
would be quickest at that time of day? Typically, how busy are the two roads
main roads (M25/A406) then?

Starting out at 15.30 means they will hit the school run and the evening
rush hour.

I really would not use the M25 and M11. As another poster has said there
are roadworks near Enfield / Waltham Cross that are causing huge jams
and more accidents than normal. The motorway has been closed on several
occasions.

Can't comment on the A4 as I don't use it much. The A406 from
Gunnersbury to Hanger Lane will be slow - there's nothing you can but be
patient. The rest of the A406 is not too bad although you may get
delayed through Neasden and Henly's Corner (near Finchley). The next
likely jam is on the section through Bounds Green to Palmers Green -
again take your time. I don't understand the reference to the A10 as
that won't get you to Walthamstow - more likely Wood Green or Enfield.
The A406 runs right round to the Crooked Billet junction which will get
you into Walthamstow directly.

I would allow at least 2 hours for the trip - possibly more as it's a
very busy route.

--
Paul C