Old December 6th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default New Carriage Lengths and Other Rolling Stock News

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Paul G
writes
Trains on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines will increase in
size from six to seven carriages, an overall capacity increase of
17 per cent, as will those on the District line between Edgware
Road and Wimbledon.

[...]
District line trains (D-stock) will increase to seven carriages
from their present six carriages but the overall train length will
remain virtually the same

The first part refers to S-stock, right?

Is it 7 carriages each the length of the C-stock ones, in which
case how are they going to solve the platform length issues? Or is
7S the same length as 6C, in which case the "increase of 17%" is
grossly misleading.

I don't know the actual car lengths for S-stock, but my understanding is
that they will be about the same as C-stock and A-stock (roughly 15 to
16 m length). The Evening Standard today said that "station platforms
on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines will be extended for the
longer trains. A massive hole will be dug in Marylebone Road to
increase [sic] Baker Street platforms. Work is also needed at
Paddington and Bayswater stations."

The second part is talking about replacing 6D by 7S, right?

Yes. D-stock cars are 18.1 to 18.4 m long (dimensions from the
Tubeprune site at http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Dimensions.htm )

--
Richard J.