Old January 3rd 07, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
John B John B is offline

Default Boundary zone n fares scrapped?

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
"Had a 20% fare increase today. I generally have a Zones 1 and 2
period travelcard and travel out to St Albans by buying a cheap day
return from the edge of zone 2. Slightly less than buying it from West
Hampstead, That option has gone now so that my fare went up from £6.20 to
£7.50."

Why such a large increase?

(x-posted to uk.railway in the hope of attracting the fares experts'
attention...)

* The £7.50 is the CDR fare from West Hampstead. The fact that it's so
much larger than the BZ2 fare is surprising, but presumably one of
these random anomalies we all know and love.

* FCC does not have the right to abolish boundary zone fares, and
therefore presumably hasn't, unless DfT has allowed them to get away
with something very underhand indeed.

* It's possible that the ticket office person at your friend's station
refused to sell the BZ2 ticket out of ignorance/bloody-mindedness, in
which case your friend should compalin.

* It's just about possible that your friend has fallen foul of FCC's
restrictions on CDRs on certain peak-hour journeys, although I can't
for the life of me see how a BZ2 one would be forbidden on a train for
which a West Hampstead one would be allowed.

has an Oyster card, since Oyster Prepay isn't valid on FCC north of
Kentish Town, while Travelcards are the same whether issued on Oyster
or paper.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org