Old January 20th 07, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Penalty fares for sitting in First Class

In article . com,
(Andrea) wrote:

I travelled First Class with FCC from Farringdon to Luton Airport
yesterday evening.

Got into the rear compartment to find that it was almost full but I
got the last seat (Standard was full). Just after we departed, two FCC
guys (presumably RPIs) came into the compartment and asked to view
all First Clas tickets. At this point, several people tried to make

for
the door but were prevented from doing so. In the end, 7 people
were penalty fared between Farringdon and West Hampstead Thameslink for
sitting in First with a Standard ticket. They all got off at West
Hampstead, where 3 more people came into the compartment.
Immediately, the RPIs came in and all 3 got £20 penalty fare notices.
Another 2 boarded at Harpenden - one had a First Class ticket and the
other was penalty fared. A real field day for these RPIs!

I suspect that this kind of thing (Standard people sitting in First
on suburban lines in London) is very common, where there are few ticket
checks. However, I've noticed that FCC RPIs are far more common now
than previously on Thameslink, where there were hardly any checks at
all north of the Thames.

They must have got the extra RPIs from the GN. We hardly get checked at
times I travel between Cambridge and King's Cross nowadays.

--
Colin Rosenstiel