Old January 21st 07, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default Penalty fares for sitting in First Class

DaveP wrote:
I suspect that this kind of thing (Standard people sitting in First on
suburban lines in London) is very common, where there are few ticket

It's probably more common because standard is full, and whilst it's
admirable that the RPI's did their duty I feel the train company would be
better off concentrating on ensuring the size of train matches the number
of those travelling. Although maybe the overcrowding is deliberate to
encourage people to buy first class?

I'm on an annual standard and wouldn't sit in first unless I had
permission, but it is kind of galling to see empty seats, especially as I'm
the last stop before London so it's unlikely anyone else would need that
seat.

But the whole point of first class is so that people pay not to have to
sit next to people like you (or me).

Empty seats around them is the whole intention, which is ridiculous in
overcrowded trains. It would be better to get rid of the concept of
first class altogether. For anyone who really misses it on that sort
of line, where there is no tea service or anything, they just need to
bring a hanky with them to put on the back of the seat.