Old January 25th 07, 12:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default DLR driver falling asleep

Tristán White wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in
news:fVPth.737$9S5.344 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Have you reported this to DLR management? If not, please do so.
As you say, he was clearly not in a fit state to do his job.

No, I haven't. I wouldn't either, *because* it's only the DLR and
the trains drive themselves anyway. It's hopefully a one-off and
hopefully he doesn't make a habit of it. If he does, he'd have
been reported long ago I guess, by someone a little less forgiving!

Which is why I haven't identified the time I was using the DLR or
which route it was.

As I said, he could have a very valid reason for being knackered.
He could be on strong medication.

But what is clear is that management - if they are reading this
list - really ought to consider giving paid sick leave to
contractors. Because no one who was entitled to sick leave would
have worked in that condition. So that's my main reason for posting
it up here.

Others may know for sure, but I would be surprised and rather concerned
if DLR Passenger Service Agents were contractors rather than employees
of Serco Docklands Ltd. Assuming that he is a Serco employee, which
would imply paid sick leave, maybe he was clubbing all night or
moonlighting or drugged or drunk or some other reason why he presented
himself in an unfit state but might not actually qualify for paid sick
leave in the circumstances.

It's true that the actual driving is done by computer. But the agent
has to be alert enough to close the doors safely, and to deal with any
emergency that might occur during the journey. If he's not in a fit
state to do that, then there is a clear safety lapse which ought to be
reported to DLR management.
--
Richard J.