Old January 25th 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Olof Lagerkvist Olof Lagerkvist is offline

Default DLR driver falling asleep

Boltar wrote:

On 24 Jan, 21:56, "Tristán White"
wrote:

This morning I took the DLR - it appeared to be the only line that hadn't
completely gone tits-up - and sat at the front on the right. The "driver"
(or whatever you call him, as he doesn't have to drive it) was so tired he
fell asleep between every single stop.

More likely he just closed his eyes. I'd be quite impressed if someone
could sleep for 1 minute at a time and wake themselves up to open the
doors at each stop.

....or did he fall asleep so that the passengers had to wake him up to
operate the door controls at the stations...

I have seen very sleepy and otherwise daydreaming attendants at the DLR,
not only in the mornings, but I have yet to see any of them actually
fall asleep so that we passengers have to wake him up at a station. But
I think it would scare me if it ever happend.

But then I got to thinking even more. Had nothing else to do, forgot to
pick up a paper and had left my book at home. If this "driver" was allowing
himself to fall asleep, in full view of his passengers, between every stop,
what happens in the privacy of the tube-driver's cabin?

On the automated lines who knows , though I suspect a lot of paper
reading goes on. On the non automated lines I expect you;d soon notice
if the driver fell asleep as you'd be sitting in a tunnel stationary
for quite a while.

Problem would be if any of them manage to fall asleep still pushing the
master control in his sleep. Maybe that was what actually happend at
Moorgate once upon a time, noone knows for sure.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451