Old March 6th 07, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Diamond West Midlands Bus Story

My mother came back from a shopping and doctor's appointment trip with a
pretty amazing bus story yesterday.

I know that there are all sorts of anecdotal stories about Polish bus
drivers with limited English skills floating around but this is a first
hand one and - despite being a bit funny - is actually rather worrying.

She was waiting for a Diamond 123 bus at Bearwood with a few other
people. The bus appeared at the stop from, unusually, the wrong
direction. Anyway, the all boarded and set off. It had only gone a
few yards when it stopped and the driver leaned out of his cab and made
"some helpless grunting noises", then pointed left and right and
shrugged his shoulders. The usual gossip among the passengers ensued
and then someone already on the bus said, "he doesn't know where he's
going and he can't speak English". Mum took this to mean he can't
speak *much* English but as she and another lady tired to help him, she
said it became apparent that he really seemed to speak none. I realise
this can't truly be the case but for the next 20 minutes, they guided
him only by pointing and Mum heard not a single word of English from
him. She also said he seemed very agitated and apprehensive.

Now she's not a Daily Mail ("they were all foreign and I'm going to
exaggerate this to make a story") type of person, so it seems that there
really was a pretty big problem here. The other lady left at the stop
before Mum and she then left watching the bus set off into the depths of
the black country. The 123 is a *very* involved route, passing though
Causeway Green, Blackheath and Cradley Heath to Merry Hill. If he
didn't find anyone else to help him, I suspect that Diamond might
currently be missing an ex-Pete's Travel/People's Express Dart and one
driver!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK