Old April 20th 07, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default A RIGHT ROYAL GIVEAWAY: RYANAIR TO HAND OUT FREE FLIGHTS TO LONDONERS!

wrote in message

On 18 Apr 2007 08:25:24 -0700, Boltar wrote:

Yeah , you get a free one way flight to an old military airfield 30
miles from anywhere interesting and then you have to pay double rate
for the return ticket. I've seen that sort of "free" before.

B2003

Of the two rubbish airlines operating in this country I much prefer
Easyjet but nither will ever see any of my cash give me BA anytime.

Be fair -- Ryanair is truly spartan, and the boarding experience is
awful, but the planes are clean and modern, and the flights punctual.

My most recent trip was on Ryanair to Eindhoven (which is where I wanted
to go), and the total fare was £24.57, including taxes, fees and charges
(the fare itself was tuppence, plus £5.40 for priority boarding and
debit card fee). Both flights were smooth and arrived early, and they
even have a glossy magazine now (not just a beverages price list).

Had I done the same journey by BA, I'd have had to go via Schiphol,
which would have taken far longer, and the add-ons alone would have been
more than the whole Ryanair cost. KLM do fly direct to Eindhoven, but
their slower turboprop flight was many times more expensive than
Ryanair, and the timings wouldn't have worked for me.

The previous week I flew BA to Montreal, and the flight was half an hour
late back, and we had to use a remote stand at LHR T4. The week before I
went to Jo'burg on Virgin, and the flight back was hours late (because
we had to return to Jo'burg to offload some bags that were wrongly
loaded, and then landed at LGW because the crew had run out of hours,
which meant another remote stand and no waiting limo). The fares on
those two trips together was about £10,000 in total, and both delivered
less than expected; Ryanair delivered more than expected, for less than
£25 (which was only just over the short term parking cost at Stansted).
So, of course I'd rather be relaxing in a VS Upper Class Suite, but
Ryanair does meet a need for a truly astonishing price