Old April 25th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Smyth Peter Smyth is offline

Default Euston to Kings Cross Thameslink

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:36:56 +0100, "Toby" wrote:

What is the quickest route to get from Euston station to Kings Cross
Thameslink? I will be making the journey late evening so would rather not
want to walk down Euston Road, and a taxi isn't realistic for the short
journey. On the undergound, should I be at the front or rear of the train
in order to quickly alight for Kings Cross Thameslink? Hopefully, my
Virgin
train will be on time/early, so I'm looking at about 15 mins for the
connection onto the FCC train to St Albans.

I have to say that is a very tight connection time at any time of day.
Depending on how late it is then headways on the tube lines can become a
tad extended - even a 5 min wait might be enough to wreck your
connection.

If you take the Northern Line City Branch southbound then you want to be
at the front of the train to alight at Kings Cross.

If you take the Victoria Line northbound then you also want to be at the
front of the train to alight at Kings Cross beside the connecting steps
and corridor up to Thameslink.

Beware though that these platforms are the longest walk from the
gateline at Euston.

As both lines at Euston are beside one another you have the advantage of
being able to wait in the lobby area at the bottom of the final set of
escalators to platform level and just take whichever line comes first.

I think you have the platforms the wrong way round. The cross platform
interchange at Euston is between NB Vic and NB Bank, and between SB Vic and
SB Bank. So the trains to Kings Cross leave from two seperate islands.

The OP should go for the NB Victoria as this is more frequent and gives a
shorter walk at the KX end.

Peter Smyth