Old April 27th 07, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,soc.men
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Does Anyone Know When The New Ubdersea Tunnel Will Be Completed?

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Dustbin wrote:

Toby wrote:
"Avenger" wrote in message

I'm referring to the one connecting London to New York. I think it's a
great idea especially the non stop express trains. And the toilet
facilities and other accomodations will be of the same high standards
we've come to expect on the London underground.

The Discovery Channel had a programme about the Transatlantic Tunnel.
In the last week, we've seen another previous fictional rail tunnel
unearth itself (Bering Strait tunnel). Perhaps, the Transatlantic
Tunnel is next...

You cannot build tunnels across continental plates.

A Bering Strait bridge is the answer; one platter can rest upon rollers
with each end on different continents. It would still require good
maintenance and the platter would have to be replaced regularly but it
is not impossible.

How do you interface the track running across it at the ends, though?

tom

--
never mind your fingers, i've got blisters on my brain