Old May 13th 07, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default How to avoid fair evasion

Mr Thant wrote:

So I went through zone 5 on this occasion but was not charged the extra.
Whilst I am obviously happy to save the money (and am unlikely to
proactively pursue TfL to give them it) it does occur to me that this
could be seen as fare evasion.
So what should I have done differently in order to avoid evasion? Were
there some within station Oyster touch-plates at Rayner's Lane that I
missed?

This has been discussed here a few times before. Basically, Oyster
appears to have no mechanism for varying the fare by route. Instead,
every pair of stations seems to have a fixed price based on the most
obvious route, but you can actually take whatever route you like. As
long as you're touching in and out correctly, you aren't fare evading.

Is there anything stopping the system charging extensions for people who
have a travelcard that's valid for one reasonable route but not another?
Season ticket holders often don't carry much cash on their Oyster and could
be rightly POed if they were getting charged additional for journeying
within the validity of their tickets.