Old May 25th 07, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default SWT Vs Southern ticket machines..

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 23 May, 18:11, Mystery Flyer wrote:

And secondly how come SWT machines wont sell me a ticket for tomorrow
and Southern will. Heck the Southern will even sell me a Return to
Inverness whereas the SWT machines seem to have had a station lobotomy.

There's some weird and very annoying policy that if you're travelling
only a short distance, you can't buy a return ticket. I had to go to
Guildford on Monday and return on Tuesday. "No return mate, got to be
two singles". Hence had to queue up twice. Nice way to make a
railway more useable. Don't know what the reason for this policy is.

The reason is to stop people using the same ticket more
than once. On a short journey, it is less likely to get clipped
than a long journey and if its validity was several days it could
be used two or three times.

There is however no need to queue up twice. There is no
reason (apart from laziness by the seller) stopping you buying
the return ticket dated for "tomorrow".

tim

Patrick